Friday, November 6, 2009

Manny exercises his option, which is even better news than you might think.

---
Via every single source talking Dodgers at this time of night, we've learned that Manny Ramirez has exercised his $20 million player option for 2010. Why does that matter in this little corner of the internet? Because I wonder about the team's financial flexibility this offseason due to the contested ownership of the club. Many will speculate as to whether Ramirez is really worth the money. In my opinion, Ramirez's return via the option was the club's best--and maybe only--opportunity to land a potentially-elite player this winter. Even if he's just a $14-$16 million player next season (Fangraphs-value), I believe it's better than the team might be able to do on the open market. As Yankee fans will tell you this week, no one cares about overpaying a guy who helps deliver a championship.
---

4 comments:

  1. After reading such articles, I start thinking that I was wrong when I decided to become a manager. I do a boring job, but get hundred times less than they)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That article is so interesting and makes a very nice image in my mind. Thank you for sharing this info with us!

    ReplyDelete